- Braithwaite, J., Crime, Shame and Reintegration, Cambridge University Press, Melbourne, 1989 and; Hopkins, A., 'The importance of Community', in Individual and Social Wellbeing, National Centre for Development Studies, Australian National University, 15-16 July, 1993.
- Woolcock, M., 1999, 'The State of the Notion' Paper presented at a multidisciplinary seminar on Social Capital: Global and Local Perspectives, Helsinki, April 15) cited in OECD, 2000, Reconciling New Economies and Societies: The Role of Human and Social Capital, OECD.
- Hugo, G., Smailes, P., Macgregor, C., Fenton, M., and Brunckhorst, D., (in press). Defining Social Catchments in Non-Metropolitan Australia. Bureau of Rural Sciences Discussion Paper. BRS. Canberra.
- Standing Committee of Community Services and Income Security Administrators, 1998, National Community Services Data Dictionary, Version 1.0, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Canberra.
Examples of indicator sets may be seen in the following papers: Black A., and Hughes P., The identification and analysis of indicators of community strength and outcomes', paper prepared for the Commonwealth Department of Family and Community Services, (DFACS , Occasional Paper No. 3). Canberra, 2001 and, Berger-Schmitt, R., and Noll, H., 2000, Conceptual Framework and Structure of a European System of Social Indicators. EuReporting Working Paper No. 9, Centre for Social Research and Methodology, Mannheim.
- Information Paper. 1996 Census of Population and Housing: Socio-economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA), Australia., ABS (Cat. no. 2039.0).