Australian Bureau of Statistics

Rate this page
ABS Home > Statistics > By Catalogue Number
ABS @ Facebook ABS @ Twitter ABS RSS ABS Email notification service
9269.0 - Business Transport Activity, Australia, 2010-11 Quality Declaration 
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 27/06/2012  First Issue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product


The following commentary also references the data tables for ANZSIC Group 461 Road Freight Transport and ANZSIC Group 462 Road Passenger Transport.

Road Transport industry subdivision businesses employed 263,000 persons at end June 2011. This subdivision accounted for nearly half (46.3%) of the employment in the Transport, Postal and Warehousing industry division. Within the subdivision, 191,000 persons were employed in Road Freight Transport and 72,000 in Road Passenger Transport.

In the 2010-11 financial year, the Road Transport industry subdivision generated Total income of $48.4b, of which $40.6b (83.9%) was Income from transport services. Of Income from transport services, $30.1b came from Road freight transport services and $6.0b from the total of Bus and tramway passenger transport services and Taxi transport services.

Total expenses of this industry subdivision were $43.3b in the financial year 2010-11, 82.8% incurred by the Road Freight Transport industry group and the remaining 17.2% by the Road Passenger Transport industry group. The main component of Total expenses representing $19.8b (45.7%) was Total transport related expenses, $6.0b of which was spent on Fuels and gas to power road vehicles and a further $2.7b on Repairs, parts, maintenance and accessories for road vehicles. Labour costs of $12.1b accounted for 28% of Total expenses, while a further $8.5b was made up of Payments to contractors and other businesses for transport services.

Of the $3.5b Total capital expenditure undertaken in the Road Transport industry subdivision in the 2010-11 financial year, the majority (66.1%) was spent on the acquisition of road vehicles.

Bookmark and Share. Opens in a new window

Commonwealth of Australia 2016

Unless otherwise noted, content on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Australia Licence together with any terms, conditions and exclusions as set out in the website Copyright notice. For permission to do anything beyond the scope of this licence and copyright terms contact us.