MINOR GROUP 351 FOOD TRADES WORKERS
FOOD TRADES WORKERS bake bread and pastry goods, prepare meat for sale, and plan, organise, prepare and cook food for dining and catering establishments.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma, or at least three years of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 2); or
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV, or at least three years of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Diploma, or at least three years of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 2); or
NZ Register Level 4 qualification, or at least three years of relevant experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- checking the cleanliness and operation of equipment and premises before production runs to ensure compliance with occupational health and safety regulations
- planning menus, estimating food and labour costs, and ordering food supplies
- monitoring quality of food at all stages of preparation and presentation
- preparing meat for sale and baking bread, cakes and pastries
- preparing food and cooking using ovens, hotplates, grills and similar equipment
- portioning food, placing it in dishes, and adding gravies, sauces and garnishes