UNIT GROUP 3923 PRINTERS
PRINTERS set up and operate letterpress, lithographic, flexographic, gravure, newspaper, instant, digital and offset printing presses.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- setting, adjusting and monitoring substrate-feed mechanisms, delivery mechanisms, inking systems and other printing machine functions
- mixing ink and solvents to standard, and regulating paper and ink supply during print runs
- monitoring, evaluating and determining press operations manually and by computer to check print quality standards against proofs and detect malfunctions
- producing a variety of printed products using relief, lithographic, flexographic and gravure printing presses, and in-line finishing systems
- preparing plates, blankets and impression cylinders on small offset lithographic printing presses
- loading paper into feeding mechanisms
- monitoring machine operations and quality of printing
- undertaking maintenance, adjustment, repair and cleaning of machines
- producing and managing digital print images, and transferring and outputting images
- may set up and operate paper and bookbinding guillotines
392311 Printing Machinist
392312 Small Offset Printer
392311 PRINTING MACHINIST
Produces books, magazines, newspapers, brochures, posters, leaflets, packaging materials and stationery using printing presses.
Skill Level: 3
Flexographic Printing Machinist
Gravure Printing Machinist
Label Printing Machinist
Letterpress Printing Machinist
Lithographic Printing Machinist
Reel Fed Printer
Sheet Fed Printer
392312 SMALL OFFSET PRINTER
Sets up and operates small offset printing presses used in instant print shops or for in-house printing.
Skill Level: 3