Homes owned with a mortgage
- In 2011, the proportion of homes owned with a mortgage in Western Australia was 37.8%, compared with 34.9% for Australia.
- The Local Government Area (LGA) with the highest proportion of homes owned with a mortgage in Western Australia was Serpentine-Jarrahdale with 55.3%. Other LGAs with high proportions of 50% or more were Wanneroo (53.6%), Chittering (50.2%), and Swan (50.1%).
- LGAs with high proportions of homes owned with a mortgage were located on the fringe or outer areas of the major cities of Perth and Bunbury.
- The LGAs with the lowest proportions of homes owned with a mortgage were located in the north-eastern remote areas of the state.
- In Kalgoorlie/Boulder, over 40% of the homes in the region were owned with a mortgage (41.7%).
HOMES OWNED WITH A MORTGAGE(a), by Local Government Area, Western Australia, 2011
(a) The number of occupied private dwellings which were owned with a mortgage or being purchased under a rent/buy scheme
by a member of the household, expressed as a proportion of total occupied private dwellings.
Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.
Median monthly mortgage repayments over time
- Between 2006 and 2011, the LGA with the fastest growth in median monthly mortgage repayments in Australia was Ashburton, which encompasses Onslow, in the north west of Western Australia, with an increase of 278.6%.
- The LGA with the fastest growth in median monthly mortgage repayments between 2006 and 2011 in Greater Perth was Armadale, which rose by 77.9%.
- The LGAs with the fastest growth in mortgage costs in Greater Perth were mainly located in the south and east of the city.
- The LGAs with the fastest growth in mortgage costs in the rest of Western Australia were mainly located in the north of the state, in and around the Pilbara region and south of Perth in the Wheatbelt and Peel regions.
FASTEST GROWTH IN MEDIAN MONTHLY MORTGAGE REPAYMENTS(a), by Local Government Area(b), Western Australia, 2006 and 2011
|Local Government Area|
Median Mortgage Repayment
|Rest of Western Australia|
|(a) Applicable to occupied private dwellings which were owned with a mortgage or being purchased under a rent/buy scheme by a member of the household. Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.|
|(b) LGAs with a total occupied private dwelling count under 500 dwellings in 2011 are excluded from this table.|
|Cells in this table have been randomly adjusted to avoid the release of confidential data.|
|Source: ABS Census of Population and Housing, 2006 and 2011.|
This page last updated 19 November 2013