Homes owned with a mortgage
- In 2011, the proportion of homes owned with a mortgage in Queensland was 34.5%, compared with 34.9% for Australia.
- Queensland had three Local Government Areas (LGA) with proportions of homes owned with a mortgage of 40% or more; Logan (42.8%), Redland (40.5%), and Gladstone (40.0%). Logan and Redland are located in the east of the state, near Brisbane. Gladstone is located north of Brisbane along the coast.
- In many LGAs in Queensland, around one-third of the homes were owned with a mortgage and these LGAs were generally located along the coastline and clustered around Brisbane.
- The LGAs with the lowest proportions of homes owned with a mortgage were located in the remote areas of Queensland. The exception to this pattern was the long established mining LGA of Mount Isa.
HOMES OWNED WITH A MORTGAGE(a), by Local Government Area, Queensland, 2011
(a) The number of occupied private dwellings which were owned with a mortgage or being purchased under a rent/buy scheme
by a member of the household, expressed as a proportion of total occupied private dwellings.
Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.
Median monthly mortgage repayments over time
- In Queensland, the LGA with the fastest growth in median monthly mortgage repayments between 2006 and 2011 was Blackall Tambo, located outside the capital city of Brisbane, with an increase of 91.0%.
- The fastest growth in median monthly mortgage repayments in Greater Brisbane was in the LGA of Ipswich, with an increase of 56.8%.
- The LGAs with the fastest growth in mortgage costs in Greater Brisbane were mainly located in the western and northern areas of Brisbane.
- The LGAs with the fastest growth in mortgage costs in the rest of Queensland were mainly located in inland regions in the western and northern parts of the state. Many of these areas have mining as a main industry, such as Mount Isa and Isaac.
FASTEST GROWTH IN MEDIAN MONTHLY MORTGAGE REPAYMENTS(a), by Local Government Area(b), Queensland, 2006 and 2011
|Local Government Area|
Median Mortgage Repayment
|Rest of Queensland|
|(a) Applicable to occupied private dwellings which were owned with a mortgage or being purchased under a rent/buy scheme by a member of the household. Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.|
|(b) LGAs with a total occupied private dwelling count under 500 dwellings in 2011 are excluded from this table.|
|Cells in this table have been randomly adjusted to avoid the release of confidential data.|
|Source: ABS Census of Population and Housing, 2006 and 2011.|
This page last updated 18 November 2013