NEW SOUTH WALES AND AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL TERRITORY
Homes owned with a mortgage
- In 2011, the proportion of homes owned with a mortgage in New South Wales was 33.4% and in the Australian Capital Territory 38.9%, compared with 34.9% for Australia.
- The Local Government Area (LGA) with the highest proportion of homes owned with a mortgage in New South Wales was Camden with 52.7%. Other LGAs with proportions of 45% or more were Wollondilly (49.6%), the Hills Shire (46.4%), and Palerang (45.8%).
- The map highlights two clusters of regions with high proportions of homes owned with a mortgage; the regions north-east of the Australian Capital Territory and west of Sydney.
- The only LGA in the state with a proportion of homes owned with a mortgage less than 10% was Central Darling (9.6%) in the west of the state.
- In the inner city LGA of Sydney, 23.2% of homes were owned with a mortgage by the residents on Census Night.
HOMES OWNED WITH A MORTGAGE(a), by Local Government Area, New South Wales, 2011
(a) The number of occupied private dwellings which were owned with a mortgage or being purchased under a rent/buy scheme
by a member of the household, expressed as a proportion of total occupied private dwellings.
Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.
Median monthly mortgage repayments over time
- In New South Wales, the LGA with the fastest growth in median monthly mortgage repayments between 2006 and 2011 was Hay (66.6%), located in the south-west of the state.
- The LGAs with the fastest growth in mortgage costs in Greater Sydney were Pittwater (38.4%) and Gosford (28.5%), located in the north of Greater Sydney.
- The LGAs with the fastest growth in mortgage costs in the rest of New South Wales are mainly located in inland areas in the north and west of New South Wales.
- The median monthly mortgage repayment in the Australian Capital Territory increased by 44.5% to $2,167 in 2011 from $1,500 in 2006.
FASTEST GROWTH IN MEDIAN MONTHLY MORTGAGE REPAYMENTS(a), by Local Government Area(b), New South Wales, 2006 and 2011
|Local Government Area|
Median Mortgage Repayment
|Rest of New South Wales|
|(a) Applicable to occupied private dwellings which were owned with a mortgage or being purchased under a rent/buy scheme by a member of the household. Excludes 'Visitor only' and 'Other non-classifiable' households.|
|(b) LGAs with a total occupied private dwelling count under 500 dwellings in 2011 are excluded from this table.|
|Cells in this table have been randomly adjusted to avoid the release of confidential data.|
|Source: ABS Census of Population and Housing, 2006 and 2011.|
This page last updated 18 November 2013