THE ABS REGIONAL STATISTICS PROGRAM
Welcome to the final update of the 2013 edition of the Local Government and ABS newsletter. On this page you'll find updates on the Rural and Regional Statistics National Centre (RRSNC) initiatives and activities, as well as many other ABS initiatives relevant to local government.
Recent Local Government Area (LGA) data releases
Wage and Salary Earner Statistics for Small Areas, Time Series, 2005-06 to 2010-11 (cat. no. 5673.0.55.003) was released on 20 December 2013. Data for local government areas, Statistical Area Levels 2, 3 and 4 are included.
The Microdata: Australian Census Longitudinal Dataset, 2006-2011 (cat. no. 2080.0) was issued on 18 December 2013 and contains information about registration, pricing and access to ACLD, as well as details about the data items in the dataset. The ACLD is an exciting new dataset which brings together data from the 2006 Census with data from the 2011 Census to build a picture of changes in society. The Information Paper: Australian Census Longitudinal Dataset, Methodology and Quality Assessment, 2006-2011 (cat. no. 2080.5) details the linkage methodology, quality of the linked data and weighting strategy. The Australians' journeys through life: Stories from the Australian Census Longitudinal Dataset, 2006 - 2011 (cat. no. 2081.0) is a series of articles analysing and demonstrating the ACLD and gives a glimpse of the type and range of information that the ALCD can provide.
Census Sample Files (CSF) for the 2011 Census were released on 12 December 2013 in Microdata: Census of Population and Housing, Census Sample File, 2011 (cat. no. 2037.0.30.001). The available products provide sample records for 1% and 5% of the 2011 Census of Population and Housing. A detailed list of data items is available on the Downloads tab. The CSF is suitable for advanced users of Census data and is available as a charged product.
An article looking at homes owned with a mortgage and mortgage costs across Australia, Perspectives on Regional Australia, Housing Arrangements - Homes Owned with a Mortgage in Local Government Areas, 2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.012) was released on 19 November 2013. This article complements the analysis of regional home ownership in Perspectives on Regional Australia: Housing Arrangements - Home Ownership in Local Government Areas, 2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.010), which was released on 30 July 2013.
Country of Birth Profiles, released on 17 November 2013, provide a comprehensive statistical picture in Excel format for selected Local Government Areas within the Greater Capital City area and Commonwealth Electoral Divisions. They provide characteristics about people from selected countries of birth relating to people, families and dwellings. The Other News page contains links to the profiles for each state/territory.
Deaths, Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3302.0) released on 7 November 2013 presents statistics on deaths and mortality for local government areas, Statistical Area Levels 2 and 4, and Remoteness Areas.
Local Government Area data releases so far in 2013
Local Government Area data releases coming up
- New estimates of the sources and amount of personal income people received for 2010-11 were released in Estimates of Personal Income for Small Areas, Time Series, 2005-6 to 2010-11 (cat. no. 6524.0.55.002) on 29 October 2013.
- Data cubes containing birth and fertility statistics for local government areas, Statistical Area Levels 2 and 4, and Remoteness Areas were released in Births, Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3301.0) on 24 October 2013.
- Perspectives on Regional Australia: Comparing Census Night and Usual Resident Populations in Local Government Areas, 2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.009), released on 16 September 2013, highlights the differences between the people in an LGA on Census Night and those who usually live there, for 46 Local Government Areas around Australia.
- Revised Estimated Resident Population (ERP) data for June 2012 were released on 30 August 2013 in Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3218.0). Age and sex breakdowns of these estimates were also released on the same day in Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3235.0). These releases included a special, one-off revision to all regional ERP back to 1991.
- A focus on regional variations in home ownership was released on 30 July 2013 in Perspectives on Regional Australia: Housing Arrangements - Home Ownership in Local Government Areas, 2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.010).
- Also on 30 July 2013, the monthly building approvals data were released in Building Approvals, Australia, June 2013 (cat. no. 8731.0). This issue includes LGA estimates for the full 2012-13 year.
- The ABS released Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS): Volume 3 - Non ABS Structures, July 2013 (cat. no. 1270.0.55.003) on 23 July 2013. This includes changes since 1 July 2012 to boundaries which are not defined by the ABS, but which are supported by the ABS, including LGAs.
- On 27 May 2013 we released an update of the National Regional Profile (NRP) which included additional data items for 2007 to 2011.
- Estimates of the resident population for areas of Australia as at 30 June for 2011 and 2012 were released on 30 April 2013 in Regional Population Growth 2011-12 (cat. no. 3218.0).
- Census of Population and Housing: Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA), Australia, 2011 (cat. no. 2033.0.55.001) was released on 28 March 2013. This product can be used to rank areas within Australia according to four defined indexes of relative socio-economic advantage and disadvantage. For the first time, you can download files which will display SEIFA data using Google Earth®, making interpretation easier.
- ABS released an article explaining population turnover on 21 January 2013 in Perspectives on Regional Australia: Population Growth and Turnover in Local Government Areas (LGAs), 2006-2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.007).
- The ABS released Wage and Salary Earner Statistics for Small Areas, Time Series, 2009-10 (cat. no. 5673.0.55.003) on 20 December 2012. Additional time series (2005-06 to 2009-10) data for LGAs were released on 1 March 2013.
- The results of an investigation by the ABS into the use of a new regional data source were released on 5 December 2012 in Experimental Estimates of Employees by Industry and Workplace Location, Victoria, 2005-06 to 2010-11 (cat. no. 8176.2.55.001).
- On 28 November 2012 ABS released Estimates of Personal Income for Small Areas, 2009-10 (cat. no. 6524.0.55.002), including data for wage and salary earners, followed by time series data for 2005-06 to 2009-10 being released on 18 February 2013.
The Regional Statistics Schedule
page in this newsletter contains details about data and analytical articles due to be released by the RRSNC.
Included on that page is an upcoming additional release from our 'Perspectives on Regional Australia' series on housing arrangements. This third article in the regional home ownership series, Perspectives on Regional Australia: Housing Arrangements - Renting in Local Government Areas (cat. no. 1380.0.55.013), focusses on the proportion of households in Local Government Areas who rent and rental costs around Australia, will be released in early 2014.
We'll continue to keep you up to date on our plans, releases and appearances with regular updates to this newsletter.
As always, if you have any feedback about this newsletter, or any of the above activities, we would love to hear from you. You can send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
, or call Gareth Edwards on (08) 8237 7674.
We wish all our readers an enjoyable Christmas, and a safe and happy New Year.
Rural and Regional Statistics National Centre
This page last updated 30 June 2014