THE ABS REGIONAL STATISTICS PROGRAM
Welcome to the 2013 edition of the Local Government and ABS newsletter. On this page you'll find updates on the Rural and Regional Statistics National Centre (RRSNC) initiatives and activities, as well as many other ABS initiatives relevant to local government.
Recent Local Government Area (LGA) data releases
New estimates of the sources and amount of personal income people received for 2010-11 were released in Estimates of Personal Income for Small Areas, Time Series, 2005-6 to 2010-11 (cat. no. 6524.0.55.002). These estimates were released on 29 October 2013 and included revised time series data for 2005-06 to 2009-10. The estimates are compiled using aggregated personal income tax data from the Australian Taxation Office. Data are provided on the number of individuals and the amount of income received from wage and salary, own unincorporated business, investment, superannuation and annuities, and other income (excluding government pensions and allowances).
Data cubes containing birth and fertility statistics for local government areas, Statistical Area Levels 2 and 4, and Remoteness Areas were released in Births, Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3301.0) on 24 October 2013. Fertility rates for 2012 have been calculated using preliminary 30 June 2012 Estimated Resident Population, based on the results of the 2011 Census. Information on characteristics of the child include place of usual residence, sex, Indigenous status, and age, martial status and country of birth of parents.
Local Government Area data releases so far in 2013
Local Government Area data releases coming up
- Revised Estimated Resident Population (ERP) data for June 2012 were released on 30 August 2013 in Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3218.0). Age and sex breakdowns of these estimates were also released on the same day in Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2012 (cat. no. 3235.0). These releases included a special, one-off revision to all regional ERP back to 1991.
- A focus on regional variations in home ownership was released on 30 July 2013 in Perspectives on Regional Australia: Housing Arrangements - Home Ownership in Local Government Areas, 2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.010).
- Also on 30 July 2013, the monthly building approvals data were released in Building Approvals, Australia, June 2013 (cat. no. 8731.0). This issue includes LGA estimates for the full 2012-13 year.
- The ABS released Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS): Volume 3 - Non ABS Structures, July 2013 (cat. no. 1270.0.55.003) on 23 July 2013. This includes changes since 1 July 2012 to boundaries which are not defined by the ABS, but which are supported by the ABS, including LGAs.
- On 27 May 2013 we released an update of the National Regional Profile (NRP) which included additional data items for 2007 to 2011.
- Estimates of the resident population for areas of Australia as at 30 June for 2011 and 2012 were released on 30 April 2013 in Regional Population Growth 2011-12 (cat. no. 3218.0).
- Census of Population and Housing: Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA), Australia, 2011 (cat. no. 2033.0.55.001) was released on 28 March 2013. This product can be used to rank areas within Australia according to four defined indexes of relative socio-economic advantage and disadvantage. For the first time, you can download files which will display SEIFA data using Google Earth®, making interpretation easier.
- ABS released an article explaining population turnover on 21 January 2013 in Perspectives on Regional Australia: Population Growth and Turnover in Local Government Areas (LGAs), 2006-2011 (cat. no. 1380.0.55.007).
- The ABS released Wage and Salary Earner Statistics for Small Areas, Time Series, 2009-10 (cat. no. 5673.0.55.003) on 20 December 2012. Additional time series (2005-06 to 2009-10) data for LGAs were released on 1 March 2013.
- The results of an investigation by the ABS into the use of a new regional data source were released on 5 December 2012 in Experimental Estimates of Employees by Industry and Workplace Location, Victoria, 2005-06 to 2010-11 (cat. no. 8176.2.55.001).
- On 28 November 2012 ABS released Estimates of Personal Income for Small Areas, 2009-10 (cat. no. 6524.0.55.002), including data for wage and salary earners, followed by time series data for 2005-06 to 2009-10 being released on 18 February 2013.
The Regional Statistics Schedule
page in this newsletter contains details about data and analytical articles due to be released by the RRSNC.
Included on that page is an upcoming additional release from our 'Perspectives on Regional Australia' series on housing arrangements. Due for release in November 2013, this is the second in a series of three articles which analyse housing tenure in LGAs. This article looks at homes owned with a mortgage and includes analysis showing how the costs of owning a home vary across Australia and how these costs have changed between 2006 and 2011.
Sub-state deaths data for 2007 to 2012 are expected to be released on 7 November 2013.
We'll continue to keep you up to date on our plans, releases and appearances with regular updates to this newsletter.
As always, if you have any feedback about this newsletter, or any of the above activities, we would love to hear from you. You can send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
, or call Gareth Edwards on (08) 8237 7674.
Rural and Regional Statistics National Centre
This page last updated 30 October 2013