1368.1 - New South Wales Regional Statistics, 2007  
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 18/12/2007   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product


Actively looking for work

Includes writing, telephoning or applying in person to an employer for work; answering an advertisement for a job; checking factory notice boards or the touch screens at Centrelink; being registered with Centrelink as a jobseeker; checking or registering with any other employment agency; advertising or tendering for work; and contacting friends and relatives.


Religious affiliation is used to categorise the school or campus.

Alterations and additions

Building activity carried out on existing buildings. Includes adding to or diminishing floor area, altering the structural design of a building and affixing rigid components which are integral to the functioning of the building.

Apprehended violence order

AVOs are orders that a court makes to protect people. AVOs protect people by ordering a number of things that the defendant must not do. The defendant must obey the orders made by the Court. Depending on the relationship between the applicant and the defendant, AVOs can relate to either domestic violence or non-domestic related (personal) violence.

Average annual rate of growth

The average annual rate of population growth, r, is calculated as a percentage using the formula below, where Po is the population at the start of the period, Pn is the population at the end of the period and n is the length of the period between Pn and Po in years.

Bed spaces

The maximum number of bed spaces normally in place available to accommodate paying guests during the survey period. Three-quarter beds are counted as one bed space; double beds as two bed spaces. Cots and divans not normally used as beds are excluded.


The delivery of a child, irrespective of the duration of pregnancy, who, after being born, breathes or shows any evidence of life such as heartbeat.


A building is a rigid, fixed and permanent structure which has a roof. Its intended purpose is primarily to house people, plant, machinery, vehicles, goods or livestock. An integral feature of a building's design is the provision for regular access by persons in order to satisfy its intended use.

Cabins, flats, units and villas

The maximum number of cabins, flats, units and villas available at caravan parks for accommodating paying guests during the survey period.


Capacity in terms of rooms/units/apartments/suites, visitor hostel bed spaces, holiday flats/units/houses or caravan park sites is the maximum number available to accommodate paying guests on the last day of the survey period. Capacity closed temporarily for seasonal reasons is included.

Caravan parks

Establishments with 40 or more powered sites and cabins, flats, units and villas which provide either short-term or long-term accommodation to the general public and which provide powered sites for caravan and toilet, shower and laundry facilities for guests.

Care recipients

A person assessed as having significant care needs which can be appropriately met through the provision of residential care, community care and/or flexible care.

Circulation of materials

Circulation is a count of all materials in all formats that are loaned for use outside the library. Materials are library resources that are available for reference and loan. These include books, DVDs, CDs and tapes, magazines, videos, CD-ROMs, large print and audio books, toys, etc.

Civilian population aged 15 years and over

All usual residents of Australia aged 15 years and over except members of the permanent defence forces, certain diplomatic personnel of overseas government customarily excluded from census and estimated population counts, overseas residents in Australia, and members of non-Australian defence forces (and their dependants) stationed in Australia.


Buildings primarily occupied with or engaged in commercial trade or work intended for commercial trade, including buildings used primarily in wholesale and retail trades, office and transport activities.

Community Aged Care Package (CACP)

A commonwealth-provided funding package to be used to purchase assistance which will enable frail or disabled older people with complex care needs to continue living in the community.


Building activity which converts to a non-residential building to a residential building, e.g. conversion of a warehouse to residential apartments. Conversion is considered to be a special type of alteration, and these jobs have been separately identified as such from the July 1996 reference month, though they have only appeared separately in the Building Approvals publication from the January 1998 issue. Prior to that issue, conversions were published as part of the 'Conversions, etc' category or included elsewhere within a table.

Country of birth

A person's birthplace is coded according to the Standard Australian Classification of Countries (SACC) (cat. No. 1269.0).

Criminal incident

A criminal incident is defined as an activity detected by or reported to police which:

  • involved the same offender(s);
  • involved the same victim(s);
  • occurred at (or in the case of fire, started at) the one location;
  • occurred during one uninterrupted period of time;
  • falls into one offence category; and
  • falls into one incident type (e.g. 'actual', 'attempted', 'conspiracy').

A criminal incident consists of one or more offences of the same type (and their related victims and offenders) which are grouped into the same unique occurrence if they are committed by the same person or group of persons and if:
  • they are part of actions committed simultaneously or in sequence over a short period of time at the same place;
  • they are part of interrelated actions; that is, where one action leads to the other or where one is the consequence of the other(s); and
  • they involve the same action(s) repeated over a long period of time against the same victim(s) and come to the attention of the police at one point in time.

One offender assaulting two victims would be counted as one criminal incident. Alternatively, two criminal incidents are recorded in the COPS database if there are two distinct offence types involved (e.g. demand money with menaces and assault) even if the same parties were involved at the same time and in the same place. A criminal incident can have more than one person of interest.

Criminal offence

Criminal offences are defined under common law and recorded in accordance with the Australian Standard Offence Classification (ASOC) (cat. no. 1234.0).


The permanent disappearance of all evidence of life after birth has taken place. The definition excludes deaths prior to live birth. For the purposes of the Vitals and Causes of Death collections of the ABS, a death refers to any death which occurs in, or en route to Australia and is registered with a state or territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Domestic violence

Domestic violence occurs when one person uses some form of violence such as physical, emotional, sexual, financial or social to control another person in a current or previous relationship. Where assault or other offences occur in a COPS event, police officers are required to record if it is related to domestic violence. If no criminal offence is recorded, but domestic violence is indicated, a Domestic Violence - no offence COPS incident is recorded.

Dwelling structure

A dwelling is a structure which is intended to have people live in it, and which is habitable on Census night. Categories used in this product include:
• Separate house: A house which stands alone on its own grounds separated from other dwellings by at least half a metre.
• Semi-detached, row or terrace house, townhouse, etc: These dwellings have their own private grounds and no other dwelling above or below them.
• Flat, unit or apartment: These dwellings do not have their own private grounds and usually share a common entrance foyer or stairwell.
• Other: Includes caravan, cabin, houseboat, improvised home, tent, sleepers out (e.g. sheds), and house or flat attached to a shop, office, etc.

Dwelling unit

A dwelling unit is a self-contained suite of rooms, including cooking and bathing facilities and intended for long-term residential use. Regardless of whether they are self-contained or not, units within buildings offering institutional care (e.g. hospitals) or temporary accommodation (e.g. motels, hostels and holiday apartments) are not defined as dwelling units. Such units are included in the appropriate category of non-residential building approvals. Dwelling units can be created in one of four ways: through new work to create a residential building; through alteration/addition work to an existing residential building; through either new or alteration/addition work on non-residential building, or through conversion of a non-residential building to a residential building.


All persons aged 15 years and over who, during the reference week:
  • worked for one hour or more for pay, profit, commission or payment in kind in a job or business, or on a farm (comprising employees, employers and own account workers); or
  • worked for one hour or more without pay in a family business or on a farm (i.e. contributing family workers); or
  • were employees who had a job but were not at work and were:
    • away from work for less than four weeks up to the end of the reference week;
    • away from work for more than four weeks up to the end of the reference week and received pay for some or all of the four week period to the end of the reference week; or
    • away from work as a standard work or shift arrangement; or
    • on strike or locked out; or
    • on worker's compensation and expected to return to their job; or
  • were employers or own account workers, who had a job, business or farm, but were not at work.


The number of licensed hotels and resorts, motels and guest houses, serviced apartments, caravan parks and visitor hostels within the scope of the survey which operated for any part of the survey period, or which closed temporarily for the quarter for seasonal reasons.

Estimated Resident Population

The official measure of the population of Australia is based on the concept of residence. It refers to all people, regardless of nationality or citizenship, who usually live in Australia, with the exception of foreign diplomatic personnel and their families. It includes usual residents who are overseas for less than 12 months. It excludes overseas visitors who are in Australia for less than 12 months.


A family is defined by the ABS as two or more persons, one of whom is at least 15 years of age, who are related by blood, marriage (registered or de facto), adoption, step or fostering, and who are usually resident in the same household. Each separately identified couple relationship, lone parent-child relationship or other blood relationship forms the basis of a family. Some households contain more than one family.

Family with dependent children

Includes families with a child under 15 years and/or a child of 15-24 years of age who attends a secondary or tertiary educational institution as a full-time student.

Full-time equivalent – Government school enrolments

A full time load has a value of one. Students on less than a full time load are expressed as a fraction of the minimum full time load. In the period from 2001 to 2006 a minimum workload for a full time year 11 or year 12 in NSW government schools was 10 units of study.

Full-time equivalent – Non-government school enrolments

The number of full time equivalent (FTE) students is calculated by the addition of full time student numbers with the full time equivalent of part time student numbers. The latter is calculated by dividing the part-time student's workload into what is considered to be a full-time workload for that State or Territory.

Full-time workers

Employed persons who usually worked 35 hours or more a week (in all jobs) and those who, although usually working less than 35 hours a week worked 35 hours or more during the reference week.

Gross tax

The sum of tax on taxable income and complementary tax. Gross tax is calculated by applying the general rates of tax to the taxable income of most resident individual taxpayers.

Holiday flats, units and houses

The total number of holiday flats, units and houses (excluding establishments predominantly operated on a time-share basis) operated by letting entities (i.e. owners, managers or real estate agents) who have sole letting rights to at least 15 flats, units or houses for short-term letting. These flats, units or houses should be mainly self-contained in terms of cooking, bath (or shower) and toilet facilities and should not have breakfast available for guests. Data for holiday flats, units or houses include short-term owner operators as well as paying guest accommodation.


A group of two or more related or unrelated people who usually reside in the same dwelling, who regard themselves as a household, and who make a common provision for food or other essentials for living; or a person living in a dwelling who makes provision for his/her own food and other essentials for living without combining with any other person.

Household composition

Describes the type of household within a dwelling:
• Family household: Can contain non-family members (unrelated persons and visitors)
• Multiple family household: Contains more than one family. A maximum of three families can be coded to a household
• Lone person household: Any private dwelling in which there is only one usual resident at least 15 years of age
• Group household: Consists of two or more unrelated people where all persons are aged 15 years or over. There are no reported couple relationships, parent-child relationships, or other blood relationships in these households.


A house is a detached building primarily intended for long term residential purposes. It consists of one dwelling unit. For instance, detached 'granny flats' and detached dwelling units (e.g. caretaker's residences) associated with a non-residential building are defined as houses. Also includes 'cottages', 'bungalows' and rectories.

Indigenous status

Indigenous status is identified by the enrolment records of the students. Enrolment forms are completed by a parent or guardian. Provision of data is voluntary. An Indigenous student is a student of Aboriginal and/ or Torres Strait Islander origin. Historically, the way in which Indigenous status has been determined varies across states and territories. The accuracy of Indigenous numbers depends upon honest and rigorous reporting on enrolment forms and the perception (by students/parents/guardians) that such reporting does not disadvantage the student or family in any way.

Industrial buildings

Buildings used for warehousing and the production and assembly activities of industrial establishments, including factories and plants.


An industry is a group of businesses or organisations that perform similar sets of activities in terms of the production of goods and services. Industry is classified according to the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) 2006 (cat. no. 1292.0). The industry assigned to an employed person is determined from a description of the kind of business or service carried out at the person's main job.

Infant death

The death of a live-born child who dies before reaching his/her first birthday.

Infant mortality rate

The number of deaths of children under one year of age in one calendar year per 1,000 live births in the same calendar year. In this product the infant mortality rate has been presented as an average for three years. The average rate was calculated by summing the infant mortality rates for the three years and dividing this by three.

Labour force

For any group, persons who were employed or unemployed, as defined.

Labour force status

A classification of the civilian population aged 15 years and over into employed, unemployed or not in the labour force, as defined. The definitions conform closely to the international standard definitions adopted by the International Conferences of Labour Statisticians.

Language spoken at home

Persons were asked to indicate whether they speak a language other than English at home. Information was coded according to the Australian Standard Classification of Languages (ASCL) (cat. No. 1267.0). Only one language was coded for each person.

Licence Holder

A NSW licence holder is a person who holds a NSW driver or rider licence issued by the RTA. The RTA issues licences when it deems that the person is knowledgeable about the road rules, competent, medically fit to drive safely and meets other licensing requirements. By law, licence holders must be 16 years of age or older before they are eligible to apply to drive a vehicle.

Licensed hotels and resorts with facilities

Establishments with five or more rooms which are licensed to operate a public bar and which provide accommodation on a room/suite basis, with a bath/shower and toilet in most guest rooms, but which do not have full cooking facilities (i.e. hot plates and oven/microwave) in most guest rooms.

Local Government Area (LGA) of usual residence

The LGA is a spatial unit which represents the whole, undivided geographical area of responsibility of an incorporated Local Government Area. Further information concerning LGAs is contained in the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC) (cat. no. 1216.0).

Mean net tax

Mean (average) net tax is calculated by dividing the sum of net tax and total imputation credit by the number of taxable individuals.

Mean taxable income

Mean (or average) taxable income is calculated by dividing taxable income by the number of taxable individuals.

Motels, private hotels and guest houses with facilities

Establishments with five or more rooms which are not licensed to operate a public bar, and which provide accommodation on a room/suite basis, with a bath/shower and toilet in most guest rooms, but which do not have full cooking facilities (i.e. hot plates and oven/microwave) in most guest rooms.

Net tax

Net tax refers to the 'net tax payable' personal taxpayers are liable to pay. It is calculated by deducting from gross tax any allowed tax offsets and credits (excluding 30% private health insurance tax offset, imputation credit, share of imputation credit from franked dividends and the section 100(2) credit), and adding on any Medicare levy and Medicare levy surcharge.

New buildings

Building activity which will result in the creation of a building which previously did not exist.

Non-residential building

A non-residential building is primarily intended for purposes other than long term residential purposes. Note that, on occasions, one or more dwelling units may be created through non-residential building activity. However, the value of these dwelling units cannot be separated out from that of the non-residential building which they are part of. Therefore the value associated with these remain in the appropriate non-residential category.

Non-taxable individuals

Non-taxable individuals are those persons who submitted an income tax return to the ATO and their net tax payable was $0. This is different to those people who did not submit a return.

Not in labour force

Persons who were not in the categories employed or unemployed as defined.

Offence category

Offence categories are derived from COPS incident types, a unique police classification which encompasses offences as well as other police activities. The COPS extract used by BOCSAR is based on a set of offence categories aligned to the 1995 Australian National Classification of Offences (ANCO), issued by the ABS (cat. no. 1234.0).

On-site vans

The maximum number of vans owned or leased by the establishment for the purpose of providing accommodation to the general public.

Other non-residential building

In this product, an other non-residential building is a building whose function is categorised as education, religion, aged care (including nursing homes), health facilities, entertainment and recreation, short-term accommodation or non-residential buildings not elsewhere classified.

Other powered sites

The maximum number of sites with provision for connection to electric power supply, available at caravan parks for accommodating paying guests during the survey period, excluding powered sites occupied by on-site vans, and cabins, flats, units and villas.

Other residential building

An other residential building is a building other than a house primarily intended for long-term residential purposes. An other residential building contains more than one dwelling unit. Other residential buildings are coded to the following categories: semidetached, row or terrace house or townhouse with one storey; semidetached, row or terrace house or townhouse with two or more storeys; flat, unit or apartment in a building of one or two storeys; flat, unit or apartment in a building of three storeys; flat, unit or apartment in a building of four or more storeys; flat, unit or apartment attached to a house; other/number of storeys unknown.


Building ownership is classified as either public or private sector and is based on the sector of the intended owner of the completed building at the time of approval. Residential buildings constructed by private sector builders under government housing authority schemes are classified as public sector when the authority has contracted, or intends to contract, to purchase the building on or before completion.

Participation rate

For any group, the labour force expressed as a percentage of the civilian population aged 15 years and over in the same group.

Part-time workers

Employed persons who usually work less than 35 hours a week (in all jobs) and either did so during the reference week, or were not at work during the reference week.

Persons employed

The total number of persons working at each accommodation establishment at the end of the survey period (including working proprietors and those working on other than accommodation activities). This data item is not applicable to holiday flats, units and houses let by real estate agents.

Place of enumeration

A count of every person who spent Census night in Australia, based on where he or she was counted (as opposed to their place of 'usual residence').

Population density

The number of people per square kilometre.

Primary Education

Primary education typically commences at around age 5 and usually lasts for 7 years. It does not include sessional education such as preschool education. In NSW primary education extends from Kindergarten to Year 6.

Principal offence

As two or more offences can be dealt with at one time, a persons principal offence is deemed to be that which attracts the most severe penalty.


Refers to properties owned by the NSW Housing and Land Corporation or head-leased by the Department. Data presented on public housing properties in this product are for occupied or vacant tenantable public housing properties only (see paragraphs 5 and 6 for details).

Religious affiliation

Answering the question on religious denomination is optional, as provided for in legislation. Responses are coded to the Australian Standard Classification of Religious Groups (ASCRG) (cat. No. 1266.0).

Rental subsidy

The difference between the market rent of the properties and the rent charged to the tenant based on income (NHADD Version 3).


A resident is a person who has been assessed as requiring residential care and who resides in a Commonwealth-funded aged care service.

Residential building

A residential building is a building consisting of one ore more dwelling units. Residential buildings can be either houses or other residential buildings.

Residential care

Personal and/or nursing care that is provided to a person in a residential care service. The person is also provided with accommodation that includes appropriate staffing, meals, cleaning services, furnishings, furniture and equipment for the provision of that care and accommodation.

Schools for Specific Purposes

Schools for specific purposes (SSPs) are for students with specific needs. Students in SSPs are not assigned to a year of schooling but are reported according to their type of specific need. Students with multiple disabilities are reported according to their main disability. Most schools for specific purposes have permanent enrolments and include schools for students with intellectual (mild, moderate and severe), physical, visual or hearing disabilities, behaviours disorders or emotional disturbance, and students in juvenile justice centres. If the State or Territory government does not provide a special education service or programme for a particular impairment, or the impairment is not of sufficient severity to qualify the student for a government special education service or programme, the student cannot be included as a student with disabilities. Students attending special schools are recorded according to age, not year level.

Secondary education

Secondary education typically commences after completion of primary education, at around age 12, and lasts for 4 to 6 years. In NSW secondary education extends from Year 7 to Year 12.

Serviced apartments

Establishments with five or more units which mostly comprise self-contained units at the same location, and which are available on a unit/apartment basis to the general public for a minimum of one night. The units should have full cooking facilities (i.e. hot plates and oven/microwave), refrigerator and bath/shower and toilet facilities; all bed linen and towels should be provided, and daily servicing (i.e. cleaning and bed making) must be available through the on-site management, although this service may not necessarily be used.

Special student

A student must meet all the following criteria to be classified as a Student with Disabilities (SWD):
  • the student must have an intellectual, sensory, physical or social/emotional impairment or multiple impairments;
  • the student must have been formally assessed as having the impairment by a person with relevant qualifications. Persons with relevant qualifications are persons such as medical practitioners/specialists, psychologists, social workers, members of the therapy professions, visiting teacher services or guidance officers in schools. Qualifications must be relevant to the impairment being assessed; and
  • the degree of impairment must be sufficient to satisfy the criteria for enrolment in government special education services or programmes in the State or Territory.

Standardised death rate (SDR)

SDRs enable the comparison of death rates between populations of different age structures by relating them to a standard population. The ABS standard populations relate to the years ending in 1 (e.g. 2001). The current standard population is all persons in the 2001 Australian population. SDRs are expressed per 1,000 or 100,000 persons. There are two methods of calculating standardised death rates: the direct and indirect methods. Only the indirect method is used in this product. The indirect method is used when the populations under study are small and the age-specific death rates are unreliable or not known. It is an adjustment to the crude death rate of the standard population to account for the variation between the actual number of deaths in the population under study and the number of deaths which would have occurred if the population under study had experienced the age-specific death rates of the standard population.

Takings from accommodation

Since 1 July 2000, takings from accommodation include gross revenue from the provision of accommodation, including Goods and Services Tax (GST). Takings from meals are excluded. In cases where takings from accommodation data cannot be provided inclusive of GST, the amount of GST payable is estimated and the data revised accordingly. Takings from accommodation for each month generally represent the takings received during that month. Where payments are received in advance of, or after, the provision of accommodation to guests, the monthly figure for takings from accommodation may not necessarily bear a direct relationship to the number of guests accommodated during the month.

Taxable income (or loss)

The taxable income amount is an ATO calculated amount. It is equal to the calculated amount of assessable income less allowable deductions. If the amount calculated is less than $0 (that is, the total of the allowable deductions is greater than the calculated amount of assessable income), the taxable income amount will be reported as equal to $0.

Taxable individuals

An individual is considered taxable when the calculated net tax payable of the individual is greater than $0.


Refers to households holding a tenancy agreement with the NSW Department of Housing (see paragraph 7 for tenant eligibility).

Total fertility rate (TFR)

The sum of age-specific fertility rates (live births at each age of mother per female population of that age). The TFR represents the number of children a female would bear during her lifetime if she experienced current age-specific fertility rates at each age of her reproductive life.


Persons aged 15 years and over who were not employed during the reference week, and:
  • had actively looked for full-time or part-time work at any time in the four weeks up to the end of the reference week and were available for work in the reference week; or
  • were waiting to start a new job within four weeks from the end of the reference week and could have started in the reference week if the job had been available then.

Unemployment rate

For any group, the number of unemployed persons expressed as a percentage of the labour force in the same group.

Ungraded students – Government school enrolments

Ungraded students may attend a special primary, secondary or combined primary/secondary school and may be associated with primary or secondary areas of education but can not be allocated to a particular year level.

Ungraded students – Non-government school enrolments

Ungraded students cannot be allocated to a particular grade, even though they may attend a primary, secondary or combined primary/secondary school and may be associated with primary or secondary areas of education.

Unpowered sites

The maximum number of sites with no provision for connection to electric power supply, available at caravan parks for accommodating paying guests during the survey period.

Usual residence – Census of Population and Housing

Usual residence data provides information on the usually resident population of an area and on internal migration patterns at the State and regional levels. The 2006 Census asked three questions on usual residence: where the person usually lives; where the person usually lived one year ago; and where the person usually lived five years ago.

Usual residence – Estimated Resident Population

Usual residence within Australia refers to that address at which the person has lived or intends to live for a total of six months or more in a given reference year.

Visitor hostels

Establishments with 25 or more bed spaces which provide accommodation to visitors on a bed basis (rather than by room). This category does not include establishments providing charity type accommodation (e.g. Salvation Army hostels) nor hotels, motels and guest houses without in-room facilities which provide accommodation on a per room basis.