UNIT GROUP 8216 RAILWAY TRACK WORKERS
RAILWAY TRACK WORKERS lay and repair tracks for railways, tramways, quarries and mines, and install and repair signals and other equipment.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- spreading and tamping ballast to provide firm foundation for sleepers
- cutting rails to length and grinding worn and rough rail ends
- placing sleepers across roadbeds, and positioning and fastening rails on sleepers
- drilling bolt holes, and bolting and welding rail sections
- removing and replacing worn and damaged rails, sleepers and switches
- cleaning and lubricating switches
- examining track, lubricating wheel bearings on rolling stock and maintaining switch signal lamps
- installing and repairing signals and other equipment
- may assist with the righting of derailed rolling stock
821611 Railway Track Worker
821611 RAILWAY TRACK WORKER
Lays and repairs tracks for railways, tramways, quarries and mines, and installs and repairs signals and other equipment.
Skill Level: 4