International Merchandise Trade Statistics
Name of Collection
International Merchandise Trade Statistics
For queries on International Trade statistics:
International Trade Section
Australian Bureau of Statistics
PO Box 10
BELCONNEN ACT 2616
Telephone: Canberra 02 6252 5411 (exports) or 02 6252 5313 (imports)
Facsimile: Canberra 02 6252 7438
For data requests and client services:
Information Consultancy Section
Telephone: Canberra 02 6252 6622
Facsimile: Canberra 02 6252 7102
To measure Australian exports and imports of goods and provide inputs to major economic statistics such as the Balance of Payments and the National Accounts. Output is also used to: analyse changes in the commodity composition of exports and imports; examine regional trading patterns and directions; and formulate and review trade policy.
Merchandise trade covers all moveable goods which add to (imports) or subtract from (exports) Australia's stock of material resources, as a result of their movement into or out of Australia.
Data are compiled from information submitted by exporters and importers or their agents to the Australian Customs Service (ACS).
Data are available for exports, imports (goods which cross the Customs frontier into Australia in a particular period) and imports cleared for home consumption (goods which enter the Australian domestic market in a particular period).
The information available includes:
- Detailed commodity information;
- Value of goods;
- Quantity of goods;
- Gross weight of goods for
Exports by commodity;
Total imports - from 1 July 1992 onwards;
- Overseas country
- Country of origin for imports and import clearances;
- Country of final destination for exports;
- Overseas port (from 1 July 1992 onwards)
Port of loading for imports;
Port of discharge for exports;
- Australian State and port
State of discharge and State of final destination for imports;
State of final destination for import clearances;
State of origin and State of loading for exports;
- Mode of transport;
- Nature of entry details (imports and import clearances);
- Import duty rates, amount of duty paid on goods cleared for Australian consumption (import clearances), and other duty information.
International merchandise trade commodity statistics can be provided classified according to the third revision of the United Nations' Standard International Trade Classification (SITC Rev 3) or the World Customs Organisation's Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System (HS); by broad economic categories (BEC); and by industry of origin (ANZSIC).
Frequency of Data Availability
Data are available monthly. Any aggregation of months can be provided.
Detailed statistics for reference periods from January 1998 are readily available. Statistics for earlier periods are also available, though not at the same level of detail.
Products and Services
For exports and imports statistics:
International Merchandise Trade, Australia (cat. no. 5422.0)-a quarterly publication available 35 working days after the end of the quarter to which it refers.
For imports statistics only:
International Merchandise Imports, Australia (cat. no. 5439.0)-a monthly publication available 12 working days after the end of the month to which it refers.
- The international merchandise trade statistics consultancy service provides a wide range of information specifically tailored to clients' needs. Information is available on an ad hoc or subscription basis and can be provided on a range of media.
- Time series data in publication format are available from January 1998 onwards. Publications covering earlier periods are available for consultation in ABS libraries.
- International Trade Information Kit: outlines concepts and definitions, classifications, confidentiality, data availability, and products and services.
Example of Information Available
The following table shows a sample of data relating to exports and imports of machinery and equipment and transport equipment. A more detailed table is available on request.
EXPORTS AND IMPORTS OF TRANSPORT EQUIPMENT
Dec Qtr 1999
Mar Qtr 2000
Jun Qtr 2000
|Machinery and transport equipment|
|Road vehicles (incl. air-cushion vehicles)|
|Motor vehicles principally designed for transport of persons|
|Motor vehicles for the transport of goods and special purpose motor vehicles|
|Road motor vehicles (incl. public transport)|
|Parts, nes and accessories of motor vehicles|
|Motorcycles (incl. mopeds) and cycles, motorized and non-motorized; invalid carriages|
|Trailers/semi-trailers; vehicles not mechanically propelled, specially designed transport containers|
|Transport equipment (excl. road vehicles)|
|Railway vehicles (incl. hovertrains) and associated equipment|
|Aircraft and associated equipment; spacecraft|
|Ships, boats (incl. hovercraft) and floating structures|