UNIT GROUP 3241 PANELBEATERS
PANELBEATERS repair damage to metal, fibreglass and plastic body work on vehicles, and form replacement vehicle panels.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- removing damaged panels and parts, and removing upholstery and accessories to gain access
- removing dents by hammering panels
- straightening damaged vehicles and parts using mechanical and hydraulic equipment
- replacing badly damaged sections with new or second-hand panels
- filling depressions with plastic filler, and filing, grinding and sanding repaired surfaces
- cutting and joining replacement sections using welding equipment
- fitting repaired or replacement panels on vehicles and refitting body hardware such as door locks and trims
- may assist vehicle body builders in constructing and restoring custom-designed, vintage and other specialty vehicles
- may spray-paint vehicles
Repairs damage to metal, fibreglass and plastic body work on vehicles and forms replacement vehicle panels. Registration or licensing may be required.
Skill Level: 3