NAME OF ORGANISATION
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)
The collection of statistics for the film and video production and distribution industries is planned to be undertaken three yearly. The collection was a census of employing businesses in the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) classes 9111-Film and Video Production and 9112-Film and Video Distribution.
The collection was undertaken in response to user's need for financial information about the film and video industry, to measure its size and structure on a regular basis, and its contribution to the Australian economy.
The collection was a survey of businesses and organisations mainly engaged in the film and video production and distribution industries. The scope of the collection was based on the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) classes:
- 9111 Film and Video Production; consisting of businesses/organisations mainly engaged in the production of motion pictures on film or video tape for theatre or television projection. This class also includes such services as casting, film editing and titling.
- 9112 Film and Video Distribution; consisting of businesses/organisations mainly engaged in leasing or wholesaling motion pictures on film or video tape to organisations for exhibition or sale. This class also includes agents mainly engaged in leasing and wholesaling films and videos to organisations.
This publication provides key financial statistics and some activity data for the film and video production and distribution industries. The data items are consistent with the Economic Activity Survey (EAS) requirements. The collection uses the ANZSIC classification.
The statistics are consistent with ABS Australian National Accounts (ANA) requirements and enable the derivation of industry gross product.
The publication contains the following tables at the Australia level:
- sources of income
- items of expenditure
- characteristics of employment
- selected statistics by employment size groupings
- selected performance ratios
- assets, liabilities and net worth
- film and video production activity
- selected statistics for productions made specifically for television.
The publication contains one state table showing:
- number of businesses
- wages and salaries
- gross income
The motion picture exhibition industry publication presents statistics classified according to the Australian and New Zealand Industrial Classification (ANZSIC). Businesses were selected on the basis of their ANZSIC at the management unit level.
Data are available at the ANZSIC class level. Some statistics are available at the state level.
Other concepts (summary)
New South Wales
Comments and/or Other Regions
The collection is run approximately 3 yearly (subject to review).
Statistics for the film and video production and distribution industries were first collected in respect of the 1993-94 financial year. Other collections were conducted in respect of 1996-97 and 1999-2000.
Royalties payments and income were considered to be non-operating expenses and income for all collections prior to 1996-97 collection. Consistent with the changes in ANA standards, from 1996-97 royalties expenses and income were treated as operating and so contribute to the derivation of industry gross product.
Data availability comments
Data available from publication: Film and Video Production and Distribution, Australia (cat. no. 8679.0)
DATE OF LAST UPDATE FOR THIS DOCUMENT
17/09/2004 08:27 AM
This page last updated 7 August 2012