NUMBER OF DWELLING UNITS AND STAGE OF PRODUCTION
3 JUNE KEY FIGURES
Mar qtr to Jun qtr 09
Jun qtr 08 to Jun qtr 09
|Original data(a) |
|Total Residential Building |
|Dwellings commenced |
|Dwellings under construction |
|Dwellings completed |
|(a) Excludes total alterations and additions, refurbishments and conversions |
|Source: Building Activity, Australia (cat. no. 8752.0). |
- The total number of dwelling commencements fell by 1.2% in the June quarter 2009 and by 28% from the corresponding quarter of 2008, the largest annual decrease since June 2001.
- In the June quarter 2009, there were 16,700 dwellings under construction, the lowest number since 2001. This represented a fall of more than 10% from the previous quarter and of 19% from the June quarter 2008.
- Dwelling completions grew by 44% on the previous quarter and by 6.4% on the same quarter of the previous year.
This link takes you to time series spreadsheets from Building Activity, Australia, Sep 2009
(cat. no. 8752.0).
Tables 34-39 contain Number of Dwelling Units Commenced, Under Construction and Completed.
ENGINEERING CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITY
4 SEPTEMBER KEY FIGURES
Jun qtr to Sep qtr 09
Sep qtr 08 to Sep qtr 09
|Value of Work Done (a)|
|(a) Chain volume measures, reference year 2007-08|
|Source: Engineering Construction Activity, Australia (cat. no. 8762.0). |
- The seasonally adjusted estimate for the value of total engineering construction work fell to under $6.2 billion (down 2.8%) in the September quarter 2009 after a 25% increase for the June 2009 quarter. However, there was an increase of 5.3% in trend terms for the September quarter.
- The value of work done for the private sector has risen substantially over the last decade, from just over $220 million in September 2000 to around $5 billion in September 2009 in original terms. Work done for the public sector has increased only $600 million in value over the same period.
This link takes you to time series spreadsheets from Engineering Construction Activity, Sep 2009
(cat no. 8762.0).